This article gives step-by-step instructions on how to schedule Facebook posts. But, before you post you’ve got to have a plan!
Make a plan
You’re busy running the organisation: delivering services, talking with funders, marshalling volunteers, trying to keep all the balls in the air. Finding time to market your organisation just seems like too much.
There is a way out.
First, you must write a communications plan. No matter how brief the plan, thinking about what you want to achieve and creating a road map to get there will help. Once the plan is done, you will have a clear pathway forward. You will feel so much less stressed, believe me.
For more on creating a social media plan, check out this previous blog from Big Bang Social.
Schedule to save time
The second step in your mission to find time for marketing is to use Facebook’s post scheduling function. This feature is the friend of all stressed-out social media managers.
Facebook scheduling will allow you to set aside time once or twice a week, to create and schedule all your Facebook posts in advance. Guided by your plan, you will know what you want to say and when. All that’s left to do is create the content.
How to schedule Facebook posts
Here are step-by-step instructions to scheduling success:
- Refer to your plan and gather your content for the week – images, links, any tags or references you want to include. Save your content elements in one folder on your PC.
- Go to your Facebook page, and click on “publishing tools” on the left-hand menu.
- Select “scheduled posts” followed by “create post” to begin creating your post.
- Add your image and enter your post text just as you would for a regular post. When you are happy with your work, click the “schedule post” blue bar at the bottom of the frame.
- Now you can select the day and time you would like your post to be published. In Australia, the majority of social media users are scrolling their social feeds in the evenings around 8pm and in the mornings, around 8am. So, these time slots may work best for your audience too.
- Now, if you refresh your page, you will see your new post listed as a scheduled post.
Congratulations! You have scheduled a post.
Making changes to your post
Your scheduled post is not set in stone. You can still make changes to the text, add an image, schedule for another time, or delete.
If you need to reschedule:
- Go to “scheduled posts” and click on the post you want to amend. A preview of the post will appear on the right of the screen.
- Click on the three horizontal dots […] at the top right.
- From the drop-down menu select “re-schedule” and enter the new date and time. Don’t forget to save.
If you need to edit a scheduled post:
- Go to “scheduled posts” and click on the post you want to amend.
- Select “view post on Facebook” at the bottom of the frame.
- Click on the three horizontal dots […] at the top right of the post.
- Select “edit post”, make your changes, and save your post. The amended post will appear in your scheduled posts listing.
I hope you enjoy using Facebook’s scheduling function. No doubt you’ll make good use of the time you have just saved yourself.
For more support for your not-for-profit’s social media program, contact Big Bang Social. We are always happy to talk about how digital marketing can help your organisation.
For more information about Big Bang Social’s services and fees, visit our social media services page.
Facebook Blueprint is Facebook’s official learning centre and provides courses on all things Facebook.